Friday 6 June 2008

The Barbican, London.





Here we are at The Barbican Centre, one of the country's finest concert halls. We are here for a very special concert with Ravi and Anoushka Shankar. As you know i am touring with Anoushka but her father was sick and had to cancel most of his concerts during this tour. Luckily he was well enough to come to London and perform one of the scheduled concerts. I have to say that i was in awe and completely overwhelmed by his presence. To be around such a figure and Guru is something very special. I have learned Sitar and been a part of this family for over 5 years and i owe alot to them and what they have done for me. I am very proud to have this Maestro as my Guru-ji. When he came out to perform the 2nd half of the concert it was such an emotional feeling to see him walk to the stage and see every single person in the hall rise and give a standing ovation. I felt very proud to be a part of that, it was really, really one of the most amazing moments of my life. And after so much ill health and all kinds of problems at the age of 88 he blew us all away with what he played, more so then any other musician alive on this earth today. 

No comments: